Today was one of those days. One of those rotten, awful, bad days. Yesterday, I talked about making memories, well, today was the kind of day that I don’t care to remember.
I started the day at 5 AM and by 7:55 AM I had already given one poopy child a bath. By 3 PM, I had JUST finished my only cup of coffee and had cleaned poop off of three separate children four times and had redressed two of those kids twice! You following?? I cleaned up a pee puddle in the kitchen and Play Doh in the dining room. By 6 PM, I was making dinner and discovering my lunch in the microwave, and by 8 PM, I had scrubbed Eden’s carpet twice and stripped two different kids’ beds. I washed, dried, and folded two loads of laundry, loaded and emptied the dishwasher twice before hubs came home and did it a third time. I showered while he set the kids up for dinner, and that was only because, in my exhausted stupidity, I grabbed the hot, fresh-out-of-the-oven glass Pyrex dish with my bare hand, so I had “had it” and needed a breather. I vacuumed the second floor for the third time this week and changed our sheets, because I have been sleeping on cake crumbs for two days. (The Bigs were just trying to “get away from Eden” while they ate their cake, and our bed seemed like a good place to hide.) Miri has been crying all afternoon/evening because I caved and ate chocolate yesterday. After this day, it’s taking all of my willpower not to dive into what’s left of the chocolate raspberry meltaway egg. It’s now 9:45 PM and I can’t touch another dish or toy. The house is just going to have to look like the post-dinner mess that it is for the rest of the night. It.has.been.a.day.
Tomorrow, we start all over again, and I am praying that it goes much better than today has gone. I love my babies. I enjoy them. Today was rotten, but I kept rolling that quote around in my head about it being a bad day, good life, just so I could maintain my sanity. It worked about 80% of the time. The other 20% I had to try to control the cursing in my head. I kept coming up with phrases that included a whole lot of potty talk, like, “It’s not the pits, just the s***s.” Because well, as Isla admitted, today was donned the “Poopy Day”. I mean…who has to clean up poop like six times in ONE day?! Ok, I’m sure some people do, but I can’t. I just can’t. It’s where I draw the line! *Sigh*
So, anyway, if you had a crappy day, literally or figuratively or both…I’m sorry. I feel for you, mama. Tomorrow will be better. It HAS to be better. Just remember this:
Father God, I come to you as a tired, exhausted mess of a woman. Please forgive me for my shortcomings today and for my impatience with everyone in my household. I pray for grace and strength to do better tomorrow. Help me to grow my children up in a household built on love and understanding. I invite you, Holy Spirit to bring peace to our home in a deeper way. Help us to feel Your presence and follow your lead in every moment of the day, especially the rough and yucky ones. Help us to see this day for what it was, just a messy one, and help me to enter tomorrow with a new and refreshed perspective, rested and recharged, ready to take on the day. Thank you for my family. It is a gift that I treasure. Let my words to them tomorrow be words of kindness, life and hope. When I am tempted to yell, I ask that you would be there and give me wisdom on how to handle whatever challenges I am facing as a mother and wife in a more Christ-like way. Help me to make our home a sanctuary for these people that I love. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.