eggnog french toast casserole
yep. it’s absolutely the perfect holiday breakfast.
it also happens to be the perfect saturday morning breakfast, tuesday morning breakfast, thursday morning breakfast…catch my drift? it’s sooo good! i’m eating it again right now!
i love christmas & i also love the foods & beverages that embody the flavors of the season…like hot chocolate, peppermint everything, turkey, eggnog. so yummy.
we often have french toast for breakfast on saturday mornings, so i got the idea (i know i’m not the first) to use eggnog rather than milk. why not? it’s sweet, creamy, flavorful…
i preferred to use less egg, sugar & vanilla. we have some really real & potent vanilla in our pantry. didn’t want to overdo it…plus i made an important addition – flour. it really helps create a batter-like coating & fluffs up the dish in a lovely way.
i prepared the dish on christmas eve b/c my in-laws were joining us on christmas morning for breakfast. i served it up along with sausage links & fresh orange slices. it was the perfect holiday meal & everyone loved it!
here is my adapted version:
nearly an entire loaf of wheat bread (about 16-18 slices) cubed
5 large eggs
2 cups eggnog
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* grease/butter a 9×13 glass baking dish
* cube & layer the chunks of bread evenly
* whisk together flour & eggnog first. please don’t try to add your flour last – it will remain clumpy & that’s bad…
* whisk in your vanilla, sugar, nutmeg & eggs
* pour mixture evenly over the bread, cover & place in the refrigerator overnight
* prepare your streusel topping. this is the original & it’s perfection. (i also did this the night before & just stored it in a separate container in the refrigerator.)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
* pre-heat oven to 350
* cover entire dish with streusel topping
* bake for 50-55 minutes
seriously – this is so good. you will love it. your kids will love it. everyone will love it.
for a mini version, remember the number 2…
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 c. egg nog (that’s all i had left. i’m sure 3/4 to 1 c. would be good)
dash of vanilla & nutmeg
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cold butter, diced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg & salt
this little dish (6×6 casserole dish) fed us breakfast for the past two mornings…
i think i may be addicted & will miss it tomorrow…